Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Report with 3 parameters used together or individually

I am having trouble with a report and would like some help. I have a report with 3 parameters: Region, Branch, and Officer. I would like the report to have the ability to be run using one OR two OR all of the parameters. For example selecting just a branch or just an officer or an officer and a branch, etc. I am using a stored procedure that has these 3 parameters. I have assigned them default values in case the user does not select them. Everything seems it should work but when I hit View Report nothing happens. The stored procedure isn't even run, no error either. It is almost like all 3 parameters have to be selected for the report to run. Any suggestions would be helpful?Have you checked to make sure your report parameters allow null values? If they don't allow the nulls, the report won't run (and you won't get any message).|||

Well with all due respect - I never Use NULL parameters!

Are you using Reporting Services 2000 or the NEW Reporting Services within SQL 2005 CTP?

There are different answers for both!

|||I am using Reporting Services 2000. I eventually figured it out by using NULL parameters for all of my parameters but also taking care of the value in my stored procedure with IF statements depending on which value was NULL and such. A pain but it does work.|||

Forget the answer to allowing NULL values!

NULLS are neither"here" or "there" and I just cannot belive that <NULLS> are acceptable inany database or any life environment!

<NULLS> are not the answer to your problem!

Please be a little more specific and I will certainly do the best I can do to help!

|||

Sorry to be reprtitive !!!

If you allow parameters within your selections of parameters (In RS Parameter Selection) why is there ever an option for <NULLS> versus <ALL> or the <Selected Values that exist> ?

Ok - if by chance there are some <nulls> within the fields within your table -- which beyond the life of me there would be any there ......

I really think that you need to ensure the UI (User Interface) that presents (data) to the data layer there are edits to prevent this from happening - or -

I just = cannot understand = why you would allow a parameter selection from RS allow a NULL to be accepted into a text SQL script or a stored procedure ---

I am mising nothing in this post - <nulls> are void within the programming and everyday life world!

No comments:

Post a Comment