Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Report Viewer/Explorer-WebPart missing under SharePoint v3+SQL Server 2005

Hello all,

I'm new with SP v3 and the Reporting Services of SQL Server 2005.

I did a prototyp report and show it with "SQL Reporting Services
Report"-WebPart, but I can't find the WebParts Report Viewer and
Explorer in the WebPart Gallery.

Please, could somebody give me a clue where the problem could be, or
how I could isolate the problem area.

Cheers
Marc

Salut Marc,

If you seach the keyword "web parts" in the help module you will find how to add the SSRS web parts ...

Try this dos command

--

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\BIN\STSADM.EXE -o addwppack -filename "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Reporting Services\SharePoint\RSWebParts.cab"

--

Regards

Ayzan

|||

Hello Ayzan,

thanks a lot for your help - works fine!

The only thing i wonder is that the stsadm-console-tool did deploy the webparts through the CAP-File, but neither do the webparts appear after the "add webparts" view nor do they reside in the webparts library under site settings.

When I do the stsadm -o enumwppacks command the webparts are listed!

So did I miss something...is there another procedure now in SP v3, or is it a further security setting?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Marc

|||

You did not miss something ... Bill did ;-)

Click on "Modify the workspace" and 'Add Wep Parts".

When the right zone appears click on "Create Lists" and "Browse".

Choose "Virtual Server Gallery" ... and it should be there ...

Regards

Ayzan

|||

Hey Ayzan,

I got it...really amazing usability...its all so intuitive...good effort, Bill :D!

U are the man:)

Have a nice day,

Marc

|||

Sorry, I forgot to ask you if you already have a documentation for Sharepoint v3, or some useful links?

Cheers

Marc

|||

Nop, we are working on a test platform, so we didn't spend time on writing a documentation. But you can post your questions, I will try answer.

Regards

Ayzan

|||

Hello Ayzan,

how are you?

For me, I'm still not sure about the most reasonable way to go, although I'm dealing with SSRS for about 3 weeks.

The requirements for the our reporting system are:

1.-Reports depend on the current user (e.g. choice of report parameter, rights)
2.-Reports consist of a comprehensive collection of different paramater types
3.-OLAP/Cubes will be applied
4.-Ad-Hoc Reports should be offered (Report-Builder might be to complex and too less user-friendly for users)

My outcome for now:

Report Viewer Control looks like a possible "out-of-the-box" solution, but

->how does it enable me to fulfil point (1)? How can I dynamically exchange data between code behind and the report viewer control? Have only seen the property expressions with link to web.config, .resx and sql connection.

->is it possible to adjust/customize the layout of the parameter bar (e.g. not only background-color, but also positions, free text and pictures)?

->what are K.O. criterias for the report viewer control so that I need to code the whole thing via API?

->Report Builder is too complex for end-users, so the report system itself must be quite generic and flexible, or is there another way to go?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Cheers,
Marc

|||

Hi Marc,

First of all, don't think that I am a Sql 2005 expert, I am just a project manager. My team and I, have been working on Sql 2005 for 3 months now, so as to build dashboard portal prototype, using SSAS for the cubes, SSRS for reporting, and Sharepoint services as web framework.

->how does it enable me to fulfil point (1)? How can I dynamically exchange data between code behind and the report viewer control? Have only seen the property expressions with link to web.config, .resx and sql connection.

We manage security and access to dimension occurrences through SSAS roles.

->is it possible to adjust/customize the layout of the parameter bar (e.g. not only background-color, but also positions, free text and pictures)?

Good question, if you find how, please tell me ;-)). I know that some new features will be implemented with the SP1, I hope it will be one of them

->what are K.O. criterias for the report viewer control so that I need to code the whole thing via API?

Wouuu, humm ... I don't know

->Report Builder is too complex for end-users, so the report system itself must be quite generic and flexible, or is there another way to go?

We don't use Report Builder, because there is no real added value. Currently, excel (pivot tables with SSAS connection) seems to be the best solution. Avoid to use the SSAS Excel Plugin. You can also check solutions like Temtec

|||

Ayzan, thanks for your quick reply:)

If i get it right you "just" apply the out-of-the-box reporting via Report Viewer WebPart and define and manage all the security and access issues already before in the backend by SSAS roles.

Does this mean you are satisfied with the customization of the parameter area for the users and also you don't have any user-specific parameter-item choices so that there is no reason to apply the Report Server WebService API?

I have already thought about the excel-pivot tables with SSAS solution, but haven't had time to do enough research or rather develop a prototype, but probably it would be worthwile to dive deeper into this.

What are for you the real benefits and biggest problems applying SSAS with cubes/dimensions/partitioning after you are working with these issues for a while?

Which impacts has SSAS regarding performance, flexibility, effort and maintenance?

If you like, I'll send you my white-papers and presentations about the research and prototype-work I'll do in the following weeks:)

Cheers

Marc

|||

As you said, we "just" apply the SSRS/SSAS comon framework. But remember, that we work on a prototype, the real BI project will begin soon. So, my users are satisfied with the current interface as they didn't have any bi application before.

What are for you the real benefits and biggest problems applying SSAS with cubes/dimensions/partitioning after you are working with these issues for a while?

Well, in my opinion, we did not investigate SSAS features as deep as I expected. Although SSRS and SSAS cover more than our real needs, the biggest problem, I have, is that I can't find a SSAS/MDX expert (2005 version) ... and I am desesperatly expecting SSAS step by step book ;-). Nevertheless, we manage to set up 4 cubes, easaly, with partitioning, security, without coding a line of mdx and with no data mining (next step).

Concerning maintenance and felxibility, remember, it's a prototype ;-). Our 4 cubes contains 2 partitions (hsitory and current month), and the current month partition is reprocessed twice a day, and from now we never experienced a problem ...

I will be glad to read you whitepapers and presentations.

Regards

Ayzan

|||

Hi ,

Can any one help me to create a webpart which is a report explorer for WSS using asp.net. If you any code snippet can you help me out with this.

regards

Sahu

No comments:

Post a Comment